The Eleventh Infantry dedicated its monument on the Emmittsburg Road, Capt. W.T. Monroe presided, and James H. Croft of Boston made the address.
The Nineteenth Infantry monument on Cemetery Ridge was dedicated; J.W. Sawyer, presiding, Lieut. Geo. M. Barry and C.C. Coffin making addresses.
The Third Battery has erected a monument. Formal exercises were not held here at this time, but the dedication was made with remarks by comrade Patch.
The First Battery dedicated a monument in the National Cemetery. Remarks were made by G.H. Patch and H.I. Hall.
The Eighteenth Infantry. The monument stands near the wheat field, and was dedicated with an address by Col. Wm. B. White of Quincy.
The Second Sharpshooters. The monument is in the form of a statue and was dedicated. N.S. Sweet gave the address.
The First Cavalry dedicated a monument near the Round Tops, Major Chas. G. Davis, delivered the address.
October 13-16.—Seventy-fifth anniversary of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions observed in Boston. The annual sermon was preached the 13th in Tremont Temple by Rev. Geo. Leon Walker D.D. of Hartford. A special discourse was delivered the 14th in the same hall by Rev. R.S. Storrs, D.D. of Brooklyn. The attendance was the largest in the history of the Board, taxing the fullest capacity of Tremont Temple, Music Hall, and various churches simultaneously. Over 10,000 people were present on one evening and many were turned away. The Rev. Mark Hopkins, D.D. was re-elected president of the Board.
* * * * *
September 26.—HON. WALDO COLBURNE, a Justice of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts, died at his home in Dedham, at the age of 60 years.
Judge Colburn was born in Dedham, Nov. 13, 1824, and at 15 years of age he entered Phillips Academy at Andover, graduating therefrom in 1842 in the “English Department and Teachers’ Seminary,” which at that time was entirely distinct from the classical course. In the following year he entered the classical department, where he remained until the summer of 1845, when he left the academy and for the two years following engaged in various pursuits, chiefly, however, civil engineering and surveying. On May 13, 1847, he entered the law office of Ira Cleveland, Esq., at Dedham, and on May 3, 1850, was admitted to the Norfolk County Bar. In the meantime he had spent some time at the Harvard Law School, and soon took a leading position in Norfolk county, which he always maintained. On May 27, 1875, he was appointed one of the Judges of the Superior Court by Gov. Gaston, and on Nov. 10, 1882, Gov. Long selected him to fill a vacancy existing in the Supreme Court. Judge Colburn was a Democrat, and had filled several positions of trust and responsibility in his native town. In 1853 and 1854 he represented