Forgot your password?  

Resources for students & teachers

This eBook from the Gutenberg Project consists of approximately 132 pages of information about The Bay State Monthly, Volume 3, No. 4.
is still shown as the one worn by the restless step of genius.  Mr. G.P.  Lathrop who married Rose Hawthorne sold the place to Daniel Lothrop, the Boston publisher, who has thoroughly repaired it and greatly added to its beauty by reverently preserving every landmark in his improvements, and now in summer his accomplished wife, known to the public by her nom de plume of Margaret Sidney, entertains many noted people at Wayside.  On the Boston road and a little farther on is the garden of Ephraim Bull, the originator of the Concord grape and below is Merriam’s Corner to which the Minute-men crossed and attacked the British as above mentioned.  Half a mile across country lies Sandy Pond from which the town has its water supply which can furnish daily half a million gallons of pure water, each containing only one and three-fourths grains of solid matter.  From Sandy Pond several narrow wood-roads lead to Walden, a mile distant where Thoreau lived for eight months at an expense of one dollar and nine cents a month.  His house cost thirty dollars and was built by his own hands with a little help in raising and in it he wrote Walden, considered by many his best book.  Mr. Thoreau died in May 1862, in the house occupied by the Alcott family on Main street where many of the principal inhabitants live.  At the junction of this street with Sudbury street stands the Concord Free Public Library, the generous gift of William Munroe, Esq. which was dedicated October 1, 1873, and now owns nearly twenty thousand volumes and numerous works of art, coins and relics, the germs of a gallery which will be added in future.  Behind the many fine estates which front on Main street, Sudbury river forms another highway and many boats lie along the green lawns ready to convey their owners up river to Fairhaven bay, Martha’s Point, the Cliffs and Baker Farm, the haunts of the botanists, fishermen and authors of Concord, or down to Egg Rock where the South Branch unites with the lovely Assabet to form the Concord River which leads to the Merrimac by way of Bedford, Billerica and Lowell.  But most of the boats go up the Assabet to the beautiful bend where the gaunt hemlocks lean over to see their reflection in the amber stream, past the willows by which kindly hands have hidden the railroad, to the shaded aisles of the vine-entangled maples where the rowers moor their boats and climb Lee Hill which Mr. C.H.  Hood has so beautifully laid out.

* * * * *

THE CONSPIRACY OF 1860-61.

By George Lowell Austin.

I.

Follow Us on Facebook