Individuals have their preferences, and opinions may differ in regard to the relative value of the springs, particularly when parties are interested in them. We have no interest in one more than in all, and have brought to our task, we believe, no partiality. The manuscript has been submitted to leading physicians of Saratoga before publication, and is approved by them. The arrangement is alphabetical.
In Congress Park, opposite Grand Central Hotel. Congress and Empire Spring Company are the proprietors. The New York office is at 94 Chambers street.
Congress Spring was discovered in 1792, by a party of three gentlemen, who were out upon a hunting excursion. Among the party was John Taylor Gilman, an ex-member of Congress from New Hampshire. Probably in that day, office conferred more honor than at the present time, and as a compliment to so distinguished a person, the spring was then and there christened the Congress. The attention of the hunters was attracted to the spot by the foot-prints of large numbers of deer, the first patrons, it seems, of the sparkling water. Although more especially esteemed by pretty dears of a different character at the present day, the liquid-eyed fawn, who grace Congress Park, are among those who take their daily rations. At the time of discovery, the low ground about the spring was a mere swamp, and the country in the immediate vicinity a wilderness. The mineral water issued in a small stream from an aperture in the side of the rock, which formed the margin of a small brook, and was caught by pressing a glass to the side of the rock. The flow of water was only about one quart per minute.