These two quotations are sufficient to supplement the observations that we have made, and there can be no doubt that posterity will forever confirm this opinion of the life and labours of the founder of New France, and that the name of Champlain will never be obliterated from the memory of Canadians.
 The exact site of the chapel wherein Champlain was buried is unknown, although many antiquarians have endeavoured to throw light upon the subject. In 1866 some bones and the fragment of an inscription were found in a kind of vault at the foot of Breakneck Stairs, and Messrs. Laverdiere and Casgrain were under the impression that Champlain’s tomb had been found. In 1875 the Abbe Casgrain discovered a document which he considered proved that the chapel had been built in the Upper Town, in the vicinity of the parochial church and of Fort St. Louis. This opinion was further confirmed by other documents which have since been found. The chapel was in existence in the year 1661, but after this date no mention is made of it. The parochial archives contain no mention of the place, and the only facts that we have concerning the tomb, are that Father Raymbault and Francois de Re, Sieur Gand, were buried near Champlain’s remains.
 The last publication of Champlain bears the date of 1632, with the following title: Les Voyages de la Nouvelle France occidentale, dicte Canada, faits par le Sr. de Champlain Xainctongeois. Capitaine pour le Roy en la Marine du Ponant, et toutes les Descouvertures qu’il a faites en ce pays depuis l’an 1603, jusques en l’an 1629. MDCXXXII. This volume is dedicated to Richelieu. According to M. Laverdiere, it has been reissued, in 1640, with a new date and title.