The Last Journals of David Livingstone, in Central Africa, from 1865 to His Death, Volume II (of 2), 1869-1873 eBook

This eBook from the Gutenberg Project consists of approximately 406 pages of information about The Last Journals of David Livingstone, in Central Africa, from 1865 to His Death, Volume II (of 2), 1869-1873.


[23] Without entering into the merits of a disputed point as to whether the men on their return journey would have been brought to a standstill at Unyanyembe but for the opportune presence of Lieutenant Cameron and his party, it will be seen nevertheless that this entry fully bears out the assertion of the men that they had cloth laid by in store here for the journey to the coast.

It seems that by an unfortunate mistake a box of desiccated milk, of which the Doctor was subsequently in great need, was left behind amongst these goods.  The last words written by him will remind one of the circumstance.  On their return the unlucky box was the first thing that met Susi’s eye!—­ED.

[24] Midday halt.

[25] Sweet potatoes.


False guides.  Very difficult travelling.  Donkey dies of tsetse bites.  The Kasonso family.  A hospitable chief.  The River Lofu.  The nutmeg tree.  Famine.  Ill.  Arrives at Chama’s town.  A difficulty.  An immense snake.  Account of Casembe’s death.  The flowers of the Babisa country.  Reaches the River Lopoposi.  Arrives at Chitunkue’s.  Terrible marching.  The Doctor is borne through the flooded country.

1st November, 1872.—­We hear that an eruption of Babemba, on the Baulungu, destroyed all the food.  We tried to buy food here, but everything is hidden in the mountains, so we have to wait to-day till they fetch it.  If in time, we shall make an afternoon’s march.  Raining to-day.  The Eiver Mulu from Chingolao gave us much trouble in crossing from being filled with vegetation:  it goes into Tanganyika.  Our course south and east.

2nd November, 1872.—­Deceived by a guide, who probably feared his countrymen in front.  Went round a stony cape, and then to a land-locked harbour, three miles long by two broad.  Here was a stockade, where our guide absconded.  They told us that if we continued our march we should not get water for four hours, so we rested, having marched four and a quarter hours.

3rd November, 1872.—­We marched this morning to a village where food was reported.  I had to punish two useless men for calling out, “Posho! posho! posho!” (rations) as soon as I came near.  One is a confirmed bange-smoker;[26]the blows were given slightly, but I promised that the next should be severe.  The people of Liemba village having a cow or two, and some sheep and goats, eagerly advised us to go on to the next village, as being just behind a hill, and well provisioned.  Four very rough hills were the penalty of our credulity, taking four hours of incessant toil in these mountain fastnesses.  They hide their food, and the paths are the most difficult that can be found, in order to wear out their enemies.  To-day we got to the River Luazi, having marched five and a half hours, and sighting Tanganyika near us twice.

Project Gutenberg
The Last Journals of David Livingstone, in Central Africa, from 1865 to His Death, Volume II (of 2), 1869-1873 from Project Gutenberg. Public domain.
Follow Us on Facebook