7. This for apostrophus. Hyphen is, as it wer, a band uniting whol wordes joined in composition; as, a hand-maed, a heard-man, tongue-tyed, out-rage, foer-warned, mis-reported, fals-deemed.
OF THE CONGRUITIE
OF OUR BRITAN
1. Al wordes q_uhi_lk we use to expresse our mynde are personal or impersonal.
2. A personal word is q_uhi_lk admittes diversitie of person.
3. Person is the face of a word, quhilk in diverse formes of speach it diverselie putes on; as, I, Peter, say that thou art the son of God. Thou, Peter, sayes that I am the son of God. Peter said that I am the son of God.
4. Quherupon person is first, second, and third.
5. The first person is of him that speakes; as, I wryte.
6. The second person is of him that is spoaken to; as, thou wrytes.
7. The third person is of him that is spoaken of; as, Peter wrytes.
1. Number is distinction of person be one and moe; and soe is singular and plural.
2. The singular speakes of one; as, a hand, a tree, a sheep, a horse, a man.
3. The plural speakes of moe then one; as, handes, trees, sheep, horses, men, tuo, three, foure, or moe, or how manie soever.
4. This difference is com_m_onlie noted with es at the end of the word singular; as, a house, houses; a windoe, windoes; a doore, tuo doores.
5. Sum tymes it is noated be changing a letter; as, a man, men; a woman, wemen; a goose, geese.
6. Sum tyme be changing noe thing; as, a sheep, a thousand sheep; a horse, an hundred horse; a noute, ten noute.
1. A personal word is a noun or a verb. A noun is a word of one person w_i_th gender and case; as, I is onelie of the first person; thou is onelie of the second; and al other nounes are onelie the third person; as, thou, Thomas, head, hand, stone, blok, except they be joined with I or thou.
2. The person of a noun singular is determined or undetermined.
3. The determined person is noated with the, and it is determined either be an other substantive; as, the king of Britan; or be an adjective; as, the best king in Europ; or be a relative; as, God preserve the king quhom he hath geven us.
4. The undetermined noun is noated with an befoer a voual; as, an ald man sould be wyse; and with a befoer a consonant; as, a father sould com_m_and his son.
1. Gender is the affection of a noun for distinction of sex.
2. Sex is a distinction of a noun be male and female, and these are distinguished the one from the other, or both from thinges without sex.