A Young Folks' History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints eBook

This eBook from the Gutenberg Project consists of approximately 169 pages of information about A Young Folks' History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Companies of Missouri militia now came marching from various parts of the state into Caldwell and other counties nearby.  Soon Far West was surrounded by an army.  Niel Gillium was there with his band of men in Indian costume, who whooped and yelled like true savages.  On the evening of October 30th, a party of men came fresh from the awful massacre, at Haun’s Mill, eager for more blood.  Thus the town was surrounded, and as it seemed, doomed to destruction.

The few brethren in Far West prepared to defend themselves as best they could.  It might appear useless for a handful of men to oppose an army, but when men are fighting for their homes, their liberty, their wives and their children, a few can do mighty deeds.

But they were not to fight.  Traitors were in the camp of the Saints and they now betrayed their brethren into the hands of the enemy.  Colonel George M. Hinkle was the commander of the Far West militia, and he went to the mob commanders and promised to deliver up to them the Church leaders.  He also made an agreement with them that the Saints would deliver up their arms, sign away their property to pay the expenses of the war, and then leave the state.  This was all done without the knowledge of the “Mormons” or their leaders.

On the evening of October 30th, Colonel Hinkle told Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon, Parley P. Pratt, Lyman Wight, and George W. Robinson that the officers of the mob-militia wanted to consult with them and try to arrange matters.  Next morning these brethren went with Hinkle some distance out of Far West where they were met by General Lucas, and soon most of the mob came up.  Lucas ordered his men to surround the brethren, when Hinkle stepped up and said: 

“General Lucas, these are the prisoners I agreed to deliver to you.”

The brethren were then marched into the camp of the mob-militia where they were received with great shouts, curses, and yells.  All that night they were compelled to lie on the cold ground, and it rained before morning.  The next day Hyrum Smith and Amasa M. Lyman were brought as prisoners into camp.

That day General Lucas demanded the arms of the “Mormons,” promising them protection, and the return of their guns after the trouble was over; but no sooner had the mob obtained possession of the arms then they began stealing and carrying away everything they could lay their hands on.  They also destroyed much property and abused innocent women and children.  Those of the brethren that had property were compelled to sign it away to the mob.

On the evening of November 1st, General Lucas held a court in which Joseph and his brethren were to be tried.  This court was composed of seventeen preachers and some army officers.  None of the prisoners were present, and knew nothing of what was going on.  The brethren were found guilty and sentenced to be shot next morning at eight, o’clock, on the public square in Far West.  When the sentence was passed

Project Gutenberg
A Young Folks' History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from Project Gutenberg. Public domain.
Follow Us on Facebook