Draw map of Palestine, locating the tribes. See Map 3 in Bible. Make an opening in the Jordan River, where the crossing occurred. Locate Jericho and Ai, scenes of first victory and first defeat. Locate Mounts Ebal and Gerizim. Place over the map an appropriate phrase from Chapter 1. Draw two dotted lines in a general easterly and westerly direction through the country to indicate the Northern, Central and Southern campaigns.
V. 1451 B.C. to 1427 B.C., making twenty-four years.
VI. 1. Preparations to enter Canaan. 1 to 5.
2. The Three Campaigns of Conquest. 6 to 12.
3. The Division of the Land. 13 to 22.
4. Joshua’s Farewell Speeches. 23, 24.
VIII. Our Possessions Equal Our Conquests. (See Hurlbut’s Bible Atlas, page 53.)
24:15 in part: “Choose you this day whom ye will serve.”
X. 1. The Two Commissions.
3 and 4. Israel at Jordan.
7 and 8.
12. The Thirty-one Kings Smitten.
XI. Joshua, Rahab, Caleb, Achan, Eleazar.
XII. 1. The Wide Influence of One Sin.
2. The Lord Fights the Believer’s Battles.
NOTE.—Let the teacher question as to the basis of these leading lessons, also explain the thought, and render the same practical in every-day life.
XIII. (a) Symbol. None.
(b) Type. Joshua. See derivation of word Jesus, also Matt. 1:21.
Note two likenesses between Jesus and Joshua.
(c) Analogy. None.
(d) Prophecy. None.
1. In Joshua’s commission, name the three promises of God. 1:1 to 1:5.
2. In what verses of the Bible does the word “success” occur? See concordance.
3. Name the three conditions of “good” success in 1:8. State difference between “good” success and “great” success.
4. Name the two occurrences in 8:32 to 8:35 and state the reason therefor.
5. How, and by whom, and where was the land divided among the tribes? See 14:1 and 2 and 19:51.
6. What was the lot of Levi? 13:33. (Psa. 16:5.)
7. What four things would the heathen nations become if not driven out? 23:13.
8. What strong statement does Joshua make in 23:14?
NOTE.—If the time permits, let the teacher add several questions, especially about the battles.
XV. Items of Special Interest.
XVI. Individual Finds.
Chapters 2, 10, 22.