[Illustration: Death of Cleopatra.]
Upon entering the chamber, they beheld Cleopa’tra lying dead upon her couch, arrayed in royal robes. Near her, I’ras, one of her faithful attendants, was stretched at the feet of her mistress; and Char’mion, the other, scarcely alive, was settling the diadem upon Cleopa’tra’s head. “Alas!” cried one of the messengers, “is this well done, Charmion?” “Yes,” replied she, “it is well done—such a death become a glorious queen, descended from a race of glorious ancestors.” Pronouncing these words, she dropped and expired with her much loved mistress.
Questions for Examination.
1. What new conquest was achieved by Augustus?
2. What was Antony’s conduct on his arrival?
3. Was he elated by this slight success?
4. How was he rewarded, and in what manner did he evince his gratitude?
5. What were Antony’s feelings and conduct on the occasion?
6. Did he attempt farther hostilities?
7. Was this satisfaction well founded?
8. How was he affected by this ill success?
9. Was Cleopatra prepared for these misfortunes?
10. What precautions had she taken?
11 What was her design in building this sepulchre?
12. Was Antony affected by this news?
13. What followed?
14. Did Antony persist in his purpose?
15. Did he immediately expire?
16. Had he another interview with Cleopatra?
17, 18. Relate the particulars of this interview?
19. How did Augustus act on this occasion?