CHAPTER 15. SONGS AND POETRY.
General practice of singing.
Song of an old man in wrath.
Native opinion of European singing.
Examples of songs for various occasions.
Influence of songs in rousing the angry passions of the men.
CHAPTER 16. FUNERAL CEREMONIES, SUPERSTITIONS, AND REMARKABLE CUSTOMS.
Death and burial of A native
Burial of A native in the LESCHENAULT district.
Custom of lacerating themselves, and watching among the graves.
The boyl-yas or native sorcerers.
Kaiber’s account of them.
Their opinion of the nightmare.
Veneration for crystal stones.
CHAPTER 17. CHARACTERISTIC ANECDOTES.
Miago’s imaginary speech as
Warrup’s account of his journey with Mr. Roe.
Transactions with the natives in A case of potato stealing.
Judicial case of assault.
CHAPTER 18. INFLUENCE OF EUROPEANS ON THE NATIVES.
Causes why it has not hitherto
Wretched state of the native population.
Prejudices against them.
Evil effects from their ferocious customs remaining unchecked.
Plan for promoting their civilization.
LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS.
1. Native of Western Australia. Captain Grey, delt. G. Foggo, Lithographer. M. and N. Hanhart, Lithographic Printers.
2. Mount Victoria and Mount Albert.
3. Glaucus, Sp.
4. Cymothoa, Sp.
5. Stenopteryx, Sp.
6. Form of basaltic dykes at Gregory’s Valley, St. Helena.
7. Geological Section from Gregory’s Valley, St. Helena.
8. Crossing Cattle over the Murray, near Lake Alexandrina. Drawn on stone by George Barnard from a sketch by G. Hamilton, Esquire. M. and N. Hanhart, Lithographic Printers, 64 Charlotte Street, Rathbone Place.