The Bay State Monthly — Volume 2, No. 1, October, 1884 eBook

This eBook from the Gutenberg Project consists of approximately 101 pages of information about The Bay State Monthly Volume 2, No. 1, October, 1884.

  Benj Swallow
  W’m:  Spalden
  Isaac Williams
  Ebenezer Gilson
  Elias Ellit
  Samuel Shattuck iu
  James Shattuck
  David Shattuck
  David Blood
  Jonathan Woods
  John Blood iuner
  Josiah Parker
  Jacob Ames
  Jonas Varnum
  Moses Woods
  Zachery Lawrence Jun’r
  Jeremiah Lawrence
  John Mozier
  Josiah Tucher
  W’m Allen
  John Shadd
  Jam’s.  Green
  John Kemp
  Nehemiah Jewett
  Eleazar Green
  Jonathan Shattuck
  Jonathan Shattuck Jun’r

In the House of Rep’tives Nov’r. 26. 1742

In Answer to the within Petition ordered that that Part of the Town of Groton Lying on the Westerly Side of Lancaster River within the following bounds viz’t bounding Easterly on said River Southerly on Townsend Road so called Wisterly on Townsend line and Northerly on Dunstable West Precinct with the Inhabitants thereon be and hereby are Set off a distinct and seperate precinct and Vested with the powers & priviledges which Other Precincts do or by Law ought to enjoy Always provided that the Inhabitants Dwelling on the Lands abovementioned be subject to pay their Just part and proportions of all ministeriall Rates and Taxes in the Town of Groton already Granted or Assessed.

Sent up for Concurrence.

T Cushing Spk’r.

In Council Nov’r. 26 1742 Read and Concurr’d

J Willard Secry

Consented to, W Shirley,

[Massachusetts Archives, cxiv, 768, 769.]

When the new Provincial line was run between Massachusetts and New Hampshire, in the spring of 1741, it left a gore of land, previously belonging to the west parish of Dunstable, lying north of the territory of Groton and contiguous to it.  It formed a narrow strip, perhaps three hundred rods in width at the western end, running easterly for three miles and tapering off to a point at the Nashua River, by which stream it was entirely separated from Dunstable.  Shaped like a thin wedge, it lay along the border of the province, and belonged geographically to the west precinct or parish of Groton.  Under these circumstances the second parish petitioned the General Court to have it annexed to their jurisdiction, which request was granted.  William Prescott, one of the committee appointed to take charge of the matter, nearly a quarter of a century later was the commander of the American forces at the battle of Bunker Hill.  It has been incorrectly stated by writers that this triangular parcel of land was the gore ceded, in the summer of 1736, to the proprietors of Groton, on the petition of Benjamin Prescott.  The documents relating to this matter are as follows:—­

To his Honnor Spencer Phipes Esq’r Cap’t Geniorl and Commander In Cheaf in and ouer his majists prouince of the Massachusets Bay in New england and to The Hon’ble his majestys Counsel and House of Representatiues In Geniral Courte assambled at Boston The 26 of December 1751

Copyrights
Project Gutenberg
The Bay State Monthly — Volume 2, No. 1, October, 1884 from Project Gutenberg. Public domain.
Follow Us on Facebook