—“honored him, followed him, Dwelt in his mild and magnificent eye, Heard his great language, caught his clear accents, Made him their pattern to do and to die.”
While the regret still lingers, that he was not permitted to witness, and to contribute further effort to secure, the triumph, which he predicted, of the cause for which he died—that regret is mitigated by the reflection, that he could never have died more honorably than in a war which could only have been avoided by the sacrifice of the Constitution and the Union.
[Footnote 1: This banner now hangs in the Doric Hall at the State House, where its mute eloquence has often started tears, and “thoughts too deep for tears,” in many a casual visitor.]
* * * * *
By the Rev. Josiah Lafayette Seward, A.M.
The valuable histories of Harvard University, by Quincy, Peirce, and Eliot, and the wonderfully full and accurate sketches of the early graduates, by John Langdon Sibley, the venerable librarian emeritus, are treasuries of interesting information in regard to the early customs and the first presidents and pupils of that institution. From these various works we have gathered the following items of interest, which we will give, without stopping at every step to indicate the authorities. Mr. Sibley has preserved the ancient spelling, which is so quaint, that we shall attempt to reproduce it.
October 28, 1636, the General Court of Massachusetts “agreed to give 400 (pounds) toward a schoale or colledge, whearof 200 (pounds) to be paid the next yeare, & 200 when the worke is finished, & the next Court to appoint wheare & what building.” On November 15, 1637, the “Colledg is ordered to be at Newtowne.” On November 20, 1637, occurs the following record of the General Court: “The Governor Mr. Winthrope, the Deputy Mr. Dudley, the Treasurer Mr. Bellingham, Mr. Humfrey, Mr. Herlakenden, Mr. Staughton, Mr. Cotton, Mr. Wilson, Mr. Damport, Mr. Wells, Mr. Sheopard, & Mr. Peters, these, or the greater part of them, whereof Mr. Winthrope, Mr. Dudley, or Mr. Bellingham, to bee alway one, to take order for a colledge at Newtowne.”
May 2, 1638, the General Court changed the name of Newtowne to Cambridge, and, on March 13, 1639, “It is ordered that the Colledge agreed upon formerly to be built at Cambridge shall bee called Harvard Colledge.” It appears that before this time there had been a school; but the name of college was not assumed until the above date. The teacher of this school was Mr. Nathaniel Eaton, who has left an unenviable reputation, and made an inauspicious beginning of that institution which was to attain to such distinction. He finally got into serious trouble, in consequence of his brutal conduct and for one act in particular, which led to his leaving the school and town. Governor Winthrop, in his