6. Gauri is one of the many names of Parvati, or Devi, the consort of the god Siva, Sankar, or Mahadeo, who rides upon the bull Nandi.
7. This village seems to be the same as Tewar, the ancient Tripura, ’six miles to the west of Jabalpur; and on the south side of the Bombay road’ (A. S. R., vol. ix, p. 57). The adjacent ruins are known by the name of Karanbel.
8. The pillar bears an inscription showing that it was erected during the reign of Budha Gupta, in the year 165 of the Gupta era, corresponding to A.D. 484-5. This, and the other important remains of antiquity at Eran, are fully described in A. S. R., vol. vii, p. 88; vol. x, pp. 76-90, pl. xxiii-xxx; and vol. xiv, p. 149, pl. xxxi; also in Fleet, Gupta Inscriptions (Calcutta, 1888). The material of the pillar is red sandstone. According to Cunningham the total height is 43 feet. The peculiar double-faced, two-armed image on the summit does not seem to be intended for Krishna, but I cannot say what the meaning is (H. F. A., p. 174, fig. 121).
9. During the wars with the Marathas and Pindharis, which ended in 1819.
10. After we left Jubbulpore, the old Rani used to receive much kind and considerate attention from the Hon. Mrs. Shore, a very amiable woman, the wife of the Governor-General’s representative, the Hon. Mr. Shore, a very worthy and able member of the Bengal Civil Service. [W. H. S.] For notice of Mr. Shore, see note at end of Chapter 13.
11. See the author’s paper entitled ’History of the Gurha Mundala Rajas’, in J. A. S. B., vol. vi (1837), p. 621, and the article ‘Mandla’ in C. P. Gazetteer (1870).
12. Kurai is on the route from Sagar to Nasirabad, thirty-one miles WNW. of the former.
13. The ‘Sagar and Nerbudda Territories’, comprising the Sagar, Jabalpur, Hoshangabad, Seoni, Damoh, Narsinghpur, and Baitul Mandla Districts, are now under the Local Administration of the Chief Commissioner of the Central Provinces, established in 1861 by Lord Canning, who appointed Sir Richard Temple Chief Commissioner. These territories were at first administered by a semi-political agency, but were afterwards, in 1852, placed under the Lieutenant-Governor of the North-Western Provinces (now the Agra Province in the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh), to whom they remained subject until 1861. They had been ceded by the Marathas to the British in 1818, and the cession was confirmed by the treaty of 1826.
14. All official presents given by native chiefs to the Governor-General are credited to the ‘toshakhana’, from which also are taken the official gifts bestowed in return.
15. By resolution of Government, dated January 10, 1836, the author was appointed General Superintendent of the Operations against Thuggee, with his head-quarters at Jubbulpore.