New York Times Current History; The European War, Vol 2, No. 2, May, 1915 eBook

This eBook from the Gutenberg Project consists of approximately 392 pages of information about New York Times Current History; The European War, Vol 2, No. 2, May, 1915.

By now the action was slackening, and at 3:45 five ships were slowly steaming homeward from the entrance.  At 4:30 there were still eight vessels in the strait, but the forts had practically ceased to fire.  The action was over for the day.

The result had been the apparent silencing of several Turkish batteries, and those terrific explosions at the forts at Chanak and Kilid Bahr, the ultimate effect of which remains to be seen when the attack is renewed tonight.  For Chanak is burning.

Official Story of Two Sea Fights

[From The London Times, March 3, 1915.]

Admiralty, March 3, 1915.

The following dispatch has been received from Vice Admiral Sir David Beatty, K.C.B., M.V.O., D.S.O., commanding the First Battle Cruiser Squadron, reporting the action in the North Sea on Sunday, the 24th of January, 1915:

H.M.S.  Princess Royal,
Feb. 2, 1915.

Sir:  I have the honor to report that at daybreak on Jan. 24, 1915, the following vessels were patrolling in company: 

The battle cruisers Lion, Capt.  Alfred E.M.  Chatfield, C.V.O., flying my flag; Princess Royal, Capt.  Osmond de B. Brock, Aide de Camp; Tiger, Capt.  Henry B. Pelly, M.V.O.; New Zealand, Capt.  Lionel Halsey, C.M.G., Aide de Camp, flying the flag of Rear Admiral Sir Archibald Moore, K.C.B., C.V.O., and Indomitable, Capt.  Francis W. Kennedy.

The light cruisers Southampton, flying the broad pennant of Commodore William E. Goodenough, M.V.O.; Nottingham, Capt.  Charles B. Miller; Birmingham, Capt.  Arthur A.M.  Duff, and Lowestoft, Capt.  Theobald W.B.  Kennedy, were disposed on my port beam.

Commodore (T) Reginald Y. Tyrwhitt, C.B., in Arethusa, Aurora, Capt.  Wilmot S. Nicholson; Undaunted, Capt.  Francis G. St. John, M.V.O.; Arethusa and the destroyer flotillas were ahead.

At 7:25 A.M. the flash of guns was observed south-southeast.  Shortly afterward a report reached me from Aurora that she was engaged with enemy’s ships.  I immediately altered course to south-southeast, increased to 22 knots, and ordered the light cruisers and flotillas to chase south-southeast to get in touch and report movements of enemy.

This order was acted upon with great promptitude, indeed my wishes had already been forestalled by the respective senior officers, and reports almost immediately followed from Southampton, Arethusa, and Aurora as to the position and composition of the enemy, which consisted of three battle cruisers and Bluecher, six light cruisers, and a number of destroyers, steering northwest.  The enemy had altered course to southeast.  From now onward the light cruisers maintained touch with the enemy, and kept me fully informed as to their movements.

The battle cruisers worked up to full speed, steering to the southward.  The wind at the time was northeast, light, with extreme visibility.  At 7:30 A.M. the enemy were sighted on the port bow steaming fast, steering approximately southeast, distant 14 miles.

Project Gutenberg
New York Times Current History; The European War, Vol 2, No. 2, May, 1915 from Project Gutenberg. Public domain.
Follow Us on Facebook