Narratives of Shipwrecks of the Royal Navy; between 1793 and 1849 eBook

This eBook from the Gutenberg Project consists of approximately 387 pages of information about Narratives of Shipwrecks of the Royal Navy; between 1793 and 1849.
stated that he was lying asleep on the starboard side of the quarter-deck, when being suddenly awakened by a bright blaze, and the sensation of scorching heat, he found his hair and clothes were on fire.  A tremendous explosion immediately followed, and he became insensible.  He supposed that some minutes must have elapsed before he recovered, when he found himself, with many of his comrades, struggling in the waves amongst pieces of the wreck.  The Resistance had sunk, but the hammock netting was just above water on the starboard side, and with much difficulty Scott and the other survivors contrived to reach it.  When they were able to look around them, they found that twelve men alone remained of a crew of above three hundred, including the marines.  The calmness of the weather enabled the unfortunate sufferers to construct a raft with the pieces of timber that were floating about; but most of the men were so much bruised and burnt as to be unable to assist in the work.  The raft was finished about one o’clock, P.M., but in a very rough and insecure manner.  Part of the mainsail attached to the mast of the jolly-boat served them for a sail, and they committed themselves to the care of Providence upon this frail raft, and made for the nearest shore, which was the low land of Sumatra, about three leagues distant.

About seven o’clock in the evening, a gale sprung up, the sea ran high, and the lashings of the raft began to give way, the planks which formed the platform were washed off, and in a short time the mast and sail were also carried away.  An anchor-stock which formed part of the raft had separated, and was floating away; but although it was at some distance, Scott proposed to swim for it, and encouraging three others to follow his example, they all reached it in safety.  In about an hour afterwards they lost sight of their companions on the raft, and never saw them more.  The four men upon the anchor-stock gained the shore, and they then fell into the hands of the Malays.

Thomas Scott was twice sold as a slave, but was at length released, at the request of Major Taylor, the governor of Malacca, who, hearing that four British seamen were captives at Lingan, sent to the Sultan to beg his assistance in procuring their liberty.  Thomas Scott returned with Major Taylor’s messenger to Malacca, from whence he sailed to England:  the other three men had been previously released by the Sultan’s orders, and conveyed to Penang.


On Monday, January the 28th, 1799, His Majesty’s frigate Proserpine, 28 guns, commanded by Captain James Wallis, sailed from Yarmouth to Cuxhaven.  She had on board the Hon. Thomas Grenville, who was the bearer of important despatches for the Court of Berlin.  On Wednesday, the 30th, the ship was off Heligoland, and there took in a pilot for the Elbe.  The day being fine, with a fair wind from the N.N.E., the Proserpine’s course was steered

Project Gutenberg
Narratives of Shipwrecks of the Royal Navy; between 1793 and 1849 from Project Gutenberg. Public domain.
Follow Us on Facebook