310. Q. Is it enough to belong to God’s Church in order to be saved? A. It is not enough to belong to the Church in order to be saved, but we must also keep the Commandments of God and of the Church.
311. Q. Which are the Commandments that contain the whole law of God? A. The Commandments which contain the whole law of God are these two: 1st, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, with thy whole soul, with thy whole strength, and with thy whole mind; 2d, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
312. Q. Why do these two Commandments of the love of God and of our neighbor contain the whole law of God? A. These two Commandments of the love of God and of our neighbor contain the whole law of God because all the other Commandments are given either to help us to keep these two, or to direct us how to shun what is opposed to them.
313. Q. Which are the Commandments of God? A. The Commandments of God are these ten.
1. I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee
out of the land of Egypt,
out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt not have strange gods before
Me. Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness
of anything that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of
those things that are in the waters under the earth. Thou shalt not
adore them, nor serve them.
2. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
3. Remember thou keep holy the Sabbath day.
4. Honor thy father and thy mother.
5. Thou shalt not kill.
6. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
7. Thou shalt not steal.
8. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
9. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s goods.
314. Q. Who gave the Ten Commandments? A. God Himself gave the Ten Commandments to Moses on Mount Sinai, and Christ our Lord confirmed them.
315. Q. What is the first Commandment? A. The first Commandment is: I am the Lord thy God: thou shalt not have strange gods before Me.
316. Q. How does the first Commandment help us to keep the great Commandment of the love of God? A. The first Commandment helps us to keep the great Commandment of the love of God because it commands us to adore God alone.
317. Q. How do we adore God? A. We adore God by faith, hope, and charity, by prayer and sacrifice.
318. Q. How may the first Commandment be broken? A. The first Commandment may be broken by giving to a creature the honor which belongs to God alone; by false worship; and by attributing to a creature a perfection which belongs to God alone.
319. Q. Do those who make use of spells and charms, or who believe in dreams, in mediums, spiritists, fortune-tellers, and the like, sin against the first Commandment? A. Those who make use of spells and charms, or who believe in dreams, in mediums, spiritists, fortunetellers and the like, sin against the first Commandment, because they attribute to creatures perfections which belong to God alone.