25. Q. Is the Son God? A. The Son is God and the second Person of the Blessed Trinity.
26. Q. Is the Holy Ghost God? A. The Holy Ghost is God and the third Person of the Blessed Trinity.
27. Q. What is the Blessed Trinity? A. The Blessed Trinity is one God in three Divine Persons.
29. Q. Are the three Divine Persons one and the same God? A. The three Divine Persons are one and the same God, having one and the same Divine nature.
34. Q. Which are the chief creatures of God? A. The chief creatures of God are men and angels.
35. Q. What are angels? A. Angels are bodiless spirits created to adore and enjoy God in heaven.
39. Q. Who were the first man and woman? A. The first man and woman were Adam and Eve.
40. Q. Were Adam and Eve innocent and holy when they came from the hand of God? A. Adam and Eve were innocent and holy when they came from the hand of God.
43. Q. Did Adam and Eve remain faithful to God? A. Adam and Eve did not remain faithful to God; but broke His command by eating the forbidden fruit.
44. Q. What befell Adam and Eve on account of their sin? A. Adam and Eve, on account of their sin, lost innocence and holiness, and were doomed to misery and death.
45. Q. What evil befell us through the disobedience of our first parents? A. Through the disobedience of our first parents we all inherit their sin and punishment, as we should have shared in their happiness if they had remained faithful.
47. Q. What is the sin called which we inherit from our first parents? A. The sin which we inherit from our first parents is called original sin.
50. Q. Was any one ever preserved from original sin? A. The Blessed Virgin Mary, through the merits of her Divine Son, was preserved free from the guilt of original sin, and this privilege is called her Immaculate Conception.
51. Q. Is original sin the only kind of sin? A. Original sin is not the only kind of sin; there is another kind of sin, which we commit ourselves, called actual sin.
52. Q. What is actual sin? A. Actual sin is any wilful thought, word, deed or omission contrary to the law of God.
53. Q. How many kinds of actual sin are there? A. There are two kinds of actual sin—mortal and venial.
54. Q. What is mortal sin? A. Mortal sin is a grievous offense against the law of God.
57. Q. What is venial sin? A. Venial sin is a slight offense against the law of God in matters of less importance; or in matters of great importance it is an offense committed without sufficient reflection or full consent of the will.
59. Q. Which are the chief sources of sin? A. The chief sources of sin are seven: Pride, Covetousness, Lust, Anger, Gluttony, Envy, and Sloth; and they are commonly called capital sins.