296. Q. Why do we make the sign of the cross? A. We make the sign of the cross to show that we are Christians and to profess our belief in the chief mysteries of our religion.
300. Q. What other sacramental is in very frequent use? A. Another sacramental in very frequent use is holy water.
301. Q. What is holy water? A. Holy water is water blessed by the priest with solemn prayer to beg God’s blessing on those who use it, and protection from the powers of darkness.
302. Q. Are there other sacramentals besides the sign of the cross and holy water? A. Besides the sign of the cross and holy water there are many other sacramentals, such as blessed candles, ashes, palms, crucifixes, images of the Blessed Virgin and of the saints, rosaries and scapulars.
303. Q. Is there any other means of obtaining God’s grace than the Sacraments? A. There is another means of obtaining God’s grace, and it is prayer.
304. Q. What is prayer? A. Prayer is the lifting up of our minds and hearts to God to adore Him, to thank Him for His benefits, to ask His forgiveness, and to beg of Him all the graces we need, whether for soul or body.
305. Q. Is prayer necessary to salvation? A. Prayer is necessary to salvation, and without it no one having the use of reason can be saved.
306. Q. At what particular times should we pray? A. We should pray particularly on Sundays and holydays, every morning and night, in all dangers, temptations, and afflictions.
308. Q. Which are the prayers most recommended to us? A. The prayers most recommended to us are the Lord’s Prayer, the Hail Mary, the Apostles’ Creed, the Confiteor, and the Acts of Faith, Hope, Love and Contrition.
309. Q. Are prayers said with distractions of any avail? A. Prayers said with wilful distractions are of no avail.
310. Q. Is it enough to belong to God’s Church in order to be saved? A. It is not enough to belong to the Church in order to be saved, but we must also keep the Commandments of God and of the Church.
313. Q. Which are the Commandments of God? A. The Commandments of God are these ten:
1. I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt
not have strange gods before Me.
2. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
3. Remember thou keep holy the Sabbath day.
4. Honor thy father and thy mother.
5. Thou shalt not kill.
6. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
7. Thou shalt not steal.
8. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
9. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s goods.