16. What is Prosody?
That science which treats of punctuation and the laws of
17. Of what is a word composed?
A syllable or combination of syllables.
18. What is a Syllable?
A letter or letters uttered by a single impulse of the voice.
19. What is the essential part of a
20. Can there be a syllable without
it containing a vowel sound?
21. What is Syllabication?
That branch of etymology which treats of the division of words
22. How many methods of Syllabication
23. What are they?
English and American.
24. What is the object of the English
To separate words into their elementary parts without regard to
pronunciation; as, a-tom.
25. What is the object of the American
To indicate the proper pronunciation by separating affixes from
26. What is a word of one syllable
27. What is a word of two syllables
28. What is a word of three syllables
29. What is a word of more than three
30. What is the Ultimate syllable of
The last syllable.
31. What is the Penultimate syllable?
Next to the last syllable in a word.
32. What is the Antepenultimate syllable?
The last syllable but two in a word.
33. What is the Preantepenultimate
The last syllable but three in a word.
34. What other way may the syllables
In their numerical order; as, first, second, etc.
35. How many syllables can a word have?
As many as it has vowels or diphthongs sounded.
36. How many words in the English language?
About one hundred and twenty thousand.
37. How are words divided in reference
Into simple and compound.
38. How are they divided in reference
Into primitive and derivative.
39. What is a Simple word?
One that is not composed of two or more whole words.
40. What is a Compound word?
One that is composed of two or more distinct words.
41. What is a Primitive word?
One in no way derived from another in the same language.
42. What is a Radical word?
Same as primitive.
43. What is a Derivative word?
One formed by joining to a primitive some letter or letters to
modify its meaning.