84. What are Labials?
Those letters whose sounds are modified by the lips.
85. Name them.
B, F, M, P, V, W, and Wh.
86. What are Dentals?
Those letters whose sounds are modified by the teeth.
87. Name them.
J, S, Z, Ch, Sh, Zh, C and G soft.
88. What are Linguals?
Those letters whose sounds are modified by the tongue.
89. Name them.
D, L, N, R, T, Y, and Th.
90. What are Palatals?
Those letters whose sounds are modified by the palate.
91. Name them.
K, Q, X, Ng, C and G hard.
92. What letters have no Organical
H, and all the vowels.
93. What is an Aphthong?
A silent letter or combination.
94. How many kinds of Aphthongs?
95. What are they?
Vowels, Consonants, and Combinations.
96. What letters are never silent?
F, J, Q, R, and X.
97. In what words is V silent?
Sevennight and twelvemonth.
98. In what word is Z silent?
99. What letters are never doubled?
X and H.
100. How many words contain all the
vowels in regular order?
101. What are they?
Abstemious and Facetious.
102. What is a Diphthong?
Two vowels sounded together in the same syllable.
103. Name the Diphthongs.
Ou, Ow, Oi, and Oy.
104. How many sounds do they represent?
105. What are the sounds called?
106. How many kinds of Diphthongs are
107. What are they?
Separable and Inseparable.
108. Which ones are Separable?
Oi and Oy.
109. What is an Improper Diphthong?
The union of two vowels in a syllable, one of which is silent.
110. By what other name are they known?
111. How many Digraphs are there?
112. Name them.
Aa, Ae, Ai, Ao, Au, Aw, Ay, Ea, Ee, Ei, Eo, Eu, Ew, Ey, Ie, Oa,
Oe, Oi, Oo, Ou, Ow, Ua, Ue, Ui, and Uy.
113. What is a Trigraph?
A union of three vowels in one syllable, two of which are silent,
or all three representing one sound.
114. How many Trigraphs are there?
115. Name them.
Awe, Aye, Eau, Eou, Eye, Ieu, Iew, and Uoi.
116. What is a Tetragraph?
Union of four vowels in one syllable.
117. How many Tetragraphs are there?
118. What is it?
Ueue in the word Queue.