35. What is the Falling Circumflex?
The sliding of the voice upward and then downward on the same sound.
36. What is a Monotone?
Reading without sliding the voice either upward or downward.
37. Give Rule 1 for falling inflection.
Propositions which make complete sense require the falling
38. Does Emphasis ever reverse this
It does sometimes.
39. Give Rule 2.
Emphasis generally requires the falling inflection.
40. Where the sense is dependent, what
inflection is generally
41. Does Emphasis ever affect this
Relative emphasis sometimes reverses it.
42. What kind of inflection should
be used at the end of an
Falling, if it cannot be answered by yes or no.
43. Negative sentences require what
kind of inflection?
44. Does Emphasis ever affect this
It does; often reversing it.
45. Imperative sentences have what
Usually the falling.
46. What kind of words require opposite
Words or members expressing antithesis or contrast.
47. What is a Series?
A number of particulars following one another in the same
48. How many kinds of Series?
49. What are they?
Commencing and Concluding.
50. What is a Commencing Series?
One that commences a sentence.
51. What is a Concluding Series?
One that concludes a sentence.
52. What inflection is given to the
members of a commencing
53. What inflection is given to the
members of a concluding
54. Are there any exceptions to these
55. What causes the exceptions?
56. What is a Parenthesis in reading?
A sentence, or clause, set off by curves from the context.
57. How should the Parenthesis be read?
In a lower tone and more rapidly.
58. What is the use of the Circumflex?
To express irony, or sarcasm.
59. What meaning is always suggested
by the Circumflex?
Doubtful or double meaning.
60. What is the use of the Monotones?
To produce an effect in grave and solemn subjects.
61. What is Accent in reading?
Increase of force on certain syllables of a word.
62. Give an example of Emphatic accent.
This corrup’tion must put on in’terruption.