10. Where is the Tilde used?
Over n in Spanish words it indicates that the sound of y
immediately follows. It is also used over e in such words
as her, and over i in sir, etc.
11. What is the use of the inverted
Under s, it gives it the sound of z; under x, it gives the sound
12. Give some words illustrating the
use of the Macron.
M[=a]te, b[=e]am, f[=i]ne, b[=o]at, t[=u]be, r[=oo]d, [=g]o, and
13. Give words showing the use of the
M[)a]t, s[)e]t, l[)o]t, t[)u]b, and f[)oo]t.
14. Illustrate the use of the Dieresis.
C[:a]r, pol[:i]ce, f[a:]lling, and tr[u:]e.
15. Give words showing the use of the
M[.a]sk, wh[a.]t, m[.o]ney, [.g]in, w[o.]lf, and b[u.]sh.
16. Illustrate the use of the Caret.
F[^a]ir, th[^e]re, s[^u]rge, and sometimes over o as in st[^o]rm.
17. Give words showing the use of the
M[e]rge and ca[n]on.
18. Illustrate the use of the Cedilla.
[C,]ell and [c,]haise.
19. Give some words showing the use
of the inverted t.
Wa[sT] and e[xT]ist.
20. Are there any other names for the
It has been given different names by different authors.
21. What are they?
“The Perpendicular,” “Suspended Macron,” etc.
22. Is the letter y ever marked by
It is, sometimes.
23. What marks are used for y?
Macron and Breve.
24. Give examples where y is marked
with the Macron.
Sp[=y], sl[=y], st[=y], etc.
25. Give example where y is marked
with the Breve.
26. What mark is used to cancel silent
Short bar, similar to the Macron.
1. What is the signification of A as
On, in, at, to, or towards.
2. Is A as a prefix ever redundant?
3. Give examples.
Adry and ameliorate.
4. What does the prefix Ab signify?
5. What does Ab signify?
6. What is the signification of Ante?
7. Name all the prefixes meaning To.
Ad, ac, af, ag, al, an, ap, ar, and at.
8. What does Anti signify?
9. What does Bis signify?
10. What other prefix means the same?
Dis, from the Greek.
11. What does Be signify?
12. What does Circum signify?
Around, as circumscribe.