22. What is the signification of S.J.C.?
Supreme Judicial Court.
23. What is the signification of U.S.S.?
United States Ship.
24. What does U.K. signify?
25. What does V.R. signify?
26. What does V.G. signify?
27. What does Xt. signify?
28. What does Xmas. signify?
29. What is the signification of Y.B.?
30. What is the signification of Zo[:o]l.?
31. What does Yt. signify?
32. What is the signification of S.T.P.?
Doctor of Divinity.
1. Why is a word divided into syllables?
For the purpose of showing their proper pronunciation and
2. What is Accent?
A greater stress of voice placed on one syllable of a word than
3. What kind of words have no accent?
Accent implies comparison, and there can be no comparison with one
5. How many kinds of accent?
Common, Emphatic, and Discriminating.
6. What is common accent?
Ordinary accent of spelling.
7. How many kinds of common accent?
8. What are they?
Primary and secondary.
9. What is primary accent?
The principal accent.
10. What is secondary accent?
The partial accent.
11. What kind of accent is essential
to every word of more than
12. How close can primary and secondary
accent come together?
Not closer than two syllables.
13. How many primary accents can one
14. How many secondary accents can
a word have?
15. In case of two secondary accents,
where are they placed?
On the first and third.
16. In case of two secondary, where
is the primary accent?
On the last but two.
17. Do the primary and secondary ever
18. In words of two syllables, where
is the accent?
Usually on the first.
19. In trisyllables, what syllable
Usually the first.
20. Are there any exceptions?
21. In polysyllables, where is the
On the antepenult usually.
22. In all words ending in ation, where
is the accent?
On the syllable next to the last.