84. Name some new words.
Outsider, intensify, repudiate, and idiom.
85. What is meant by suspended animation
of a word?
A word that passes out of use for a while and then resumes its
place in literature.
86. Give examples of suspended words.
The words reckless, abate, and abandon, fell into disuse in the
seventeenth century, but have since been revived.
87. What letters are called the pivots?
Y and w.
88. Why are they so called?
Because of their peculiar sounds in changing from vowels to
89. What kind of new words should be
Any word formed contrary to the genius of the language.
90. What is meant by idiom?
A peculiar mode of expression.
91. What is diction?
Diction treats of the selection and right use of words.
92. When is our diction pure?
When we use only such words as belong to the idiom of our language.
93. What are Synonyms?
Words having a similar signification.
94. What is a Synonymicon?
A dictionary of synonymous words.
95. What is meant by a reputable word?
One that is used by educated people.
96. What is an Anacoluthic word?
One that is unnecessary to the completion of a sentence.
97. What is an Idiomatic word?
A word belonging to an individual language.
98. What is an Ideographical language?
One in which the characters represent ideas rather than sounds.
99. Can there be a derivative word
without an affix?
There can; as, brought from bring.
100. What is Dactylology?
The art of spelling words with the fingers.
101. What is the Pythagorean letter?
102. Why so called?
Because its Greek original represents the sacred triad used to
designate the diverging paths of virtue and vice.
NUMERICAL VALUES OF THE LETTERS.
1. What is meant by the Numerical value
Its value as a numeral used in the notation of different languages.
2. Have all the letters Numerical value?
All except J, U, W, and Y.
3. What is the Numerical value of A?
4. By whom used?
The ancient European Nations.
5. What is the Numerical value of B?
6. By whom used?
7. What is the Numerical value of C?
100 in the Roman notation.
8. What is the Numerical value of D?
500 in the Roman notation.
9. What is the Numerical value of E?