44. What is Analysis?
Separating a word or syllable into its elements or parts.
45. What is Synthesis?
The process of combining elements to form syllables and words.
46. What is the Base of a Compound
That word representing the fundamental idea.
47. What is the Modifier in a Compound
That word which describes the other.
48. What is the Base of a Derivative
The primitive from which it is derived.
49. What is the Modifier in a Derivative
50. What is an Affix?
That part of a derivative word attached to the root.
51. How many Root words in the English
Over one thousand.
52. What is a Prefix?
That part of a derivative word placed before the root.
53. What is a Postfix?
That part of a derivative word placed after the root.
54. What is a Suffix?
Same as a postfix.
55. What are Affixes?
Prefixes and postfixes together are called affixes.
56. How many kinds of Derivatives are
57. What are they?
Regular and irregular.
58. What is a Regular derivative?
One that is formed by the addition of affixes without changing the
letters in the primitive part (except final e silent).
59. What is an Irregular derivative?
One in which the letters of the primitive part are changed.
60. In using Affixes, what rule should
The affix and root should be from the same language.
61. Is the same rule to be observed
in forming Compound words?
62. What is a Mongrel compound word?
One formed contrary to the rule.
63. Give an example.
Cable-graph and cable-gram.
64. What are Barbarisms?
Same as mongrel.
65. When use the hyphen in Compound
When they are not permanently compounded.
66. What is an Obsolete word?
One gone out of date.
RULES AND TERMS.
1. What is Spelling?
A distinct expression of the letters or sounds of a word in their
2. How many kinds of Spelling?
3. What are they?
Orthographic and Phonic.
4. What is Orthographic spelling?
An expression of the letters of a written or printed word in their
5. What is Phonic spelling?
An expression of the elementary sounds of a word in their proper
order, according to established usage.