1. What is Orthography?
The science and art of the Letters of a language.
2. Of what does Orthography treat?
The nature and power of letters, and correct spelling.
3. From what is the word Orthography
Two Greek words, signifying “To write right.”
4. What is a Letter?
A character used to represent an elementary sound, or combination
5. What is an Alphabet of a Language?
A complete list of its letters.
6. What is the origin of the word Alphabet?
It is derived from the first two letters of the Greek Alphabet:
Alpha and Beta.
7. Where did the Alphabet originate?
The English comes from the Greek, which was brought by Cadmus from
Phoenicia, about the year 1490 B.C.
8. What was the first Alphabet ever
9 How many letters were in the original
10. Where did the other letters originate?
They have been added since the time of Cadmus, as their use became
11. What was the last letter added
to the English Alphabet?
12. Why was it called W?
On account of it being composed of two u’s, or a double u.
13. How many letters in the English
14. How many in the Latin Alphabet?
15. What is the difference between
the Latin Alphabet and the
The Latin omits the letter W.
16. What Alphabet has the greatest
number of letters?
17. How many letters in the Chinese
Over two hundred.
18. What is a Perfect Alphabet?
One which contains the same number of letters that it has
19. Is the English a perfect Alphabet?
It is not.
20. How many Elementary sounds in the
21. What is an Imperfect Alphabet?
One in which the number of sounds exceeds the number of letters.
22. What is an Equivocal Alphabet?
An Imperfect one.
23. What is an Unequivocal Alphabet?
Same as Perfect.
24. Is the English Alphabet Equivocal
25. What is a Univocal Alphabet?
One that has a separate character for each elementary sound.
26. What is an Alphabetic Language?
A language in which the characters represent separate articulate
27. What is a Phonetic Alphabet?
One in which there is a separate character for each elementary