Art. 6. The President shall vacate office on the expiry of his term. Should the election of the next President or Vice-President be not effected for any cause, or having been elected should they be unable to be inaugurated, the President and Vice-President whose terms have expired shall quit their posts and the Cabinet shall officiate for them.
Art. 7. The election of the Vice-President shall be according to the fixed regulations for the election of the President, and the election of the Vice-President shall take place at the same time when the President is elected. Should there be a vacancy for the Vice-Presidency a Vice-President shall be elected according to the provisions herein set forth.
Before the completion of the Formal Constitution, with regard to the duties and privileges of the President the Provisional Constitution regarding the same shall temporarily be followed.
“THE CONSTITUTIONAL COMPACT”
Drafted by Dr. Frank Johnson Goodnow, Legal Adviser to Yuan Shih-kai, and promulgated on May 1, 1914
CHAPTER I.—THE NATION
Article 1. The Chung Hua Min Kuo is organized by the people of Chung Hua.
Art. 2. The sovereignty of Chung Hua Min Kuo originates from the whole body of the citizens.
Art. 3. The territory of the Chung Hua Min Kuo is the same as that possessed by the former Empire.
CHAPTER II.—THE PEOPLE
Art. 4. The people of the Chung Hua Min Kuo are all equal in law, irrespective of race, caste, or religion.
Art. 5. The people are entitled to the following rights of liberty:—
(1) No person shall be arrested, imprisoned, tried, or punished except in accordance with law.
(2) The habitation of any person shall not be entered or searched except in accordance with law.
(3) The people have the right of possession and protection of property and the freedom of trade within the bounds of law.
(4) The people have the right of freedom of speech, of writing and publication, of meeting and organizing association, within the bounds of law.
(5) The people have the right of the secrecy of correspondence within the bounds of law.
(6) The people have the liberty of residence and removal, within the bounds of law.
(7) The people have freedom of religious belief, within the bounds of law.
Art. 6. The people have the right to memorialize the Li Fa Yuan according to the provisions of law.
Art. 7. The people have the right to institute proceedings at the judiciary organ in accordance with the provisions of law.
Art. 8. The people have the right to petition the administrative organs and lodge protests with the Administrative Court in accordance with the provisions of law.