Notes and Queries, Number 47, September 21, 1850 eBook

This eBook from the Gutenberg Project consists of approximately 41 pages of information about Notes and Queries, Number 47, September 21, 1850.

MISCELLANEOUS

NOTES ON BOOKS, SALES, CATALOGUES, ETC.

The Rev. Mackenzie Walcott, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, whose pleasant gossiping Memorials of Westminster, and History of St. Margaret’s Church, are no doubt familiar to many of our readers, is, as an old Wykehamist, collecting information for a “History of Commoners and the Two S. Marie Winton Colleges;” and will feel obliged by lists of illustrious alumni, and any notes, archaeological and historical, about that noble school, which will be duly acknowledged.

The Cambrian Archaeological Association, which was established in 1846 for the purpose of promoting the study and preservation of the antiquities of Wales and the Marches, held its fourth anniversary meeting in the ancient and picturesque town of Dolgelly, during the week commencing the 26th ultimo.  The Association is endeavouring to extend its usefulness by enlarging the number of its members; and as its subscribing members receive in return for their yearly pound, not only the Society’s Journal, the Archaeologia Cambrensis but also the annual volume of valuable archaeological matter published by the Association, we cannot doubt but their exertions will meet the sympathy and patronage of all who take an interest in the national and historical remains of the principality.

The preceding paragraph was scarcely finished when we received proof of the utility of the Association in Mr. Freeman’s volume, entitled Remarks on the Architecture of Llandaff Cathedral, with an Essay towards a History of the Fabric—­a volume which, as we learn from the preface, had its origin in the observations on some of the more singular peculiarities of the fabric made by the author at the Cardiff meeting of the Association in 1849.  These remarks were further developed in a paper in the Archaeologia Cambrensis; and have now been expanded into the present descriptive and historical account of a building which, to use Mr. Freeman’s words, “in many respects, both of its history and architecture, stands quite alone among English churches.”  Mr. Freeman’s ability to do justice to such a subject is well known:  and his work will therefore assuredly find a welcome from the numerous body of students of church architecture now to be found in this country; and to their judgments we leave it.

Notes on Bishop Jeremy Taylor’s Works. A reprint being called for of vol. vi. of the present edition of Bishop Taylor’s works, the Editor will be glad of any assistance towards verifying the references which have been omitted.  The volume is to go to press early in October.

Messrs. Puttick and Simpson will commence on Monday next a six days’ sale of valuable books in all classes of literature; oriental, and other manuscripts; autograph letters; engravings, miniatures, paintings, &c.

Messrs. Southgate and Barrett will sell on Tuesday next some fine portraits and engravings; together with a very interesting and extensive collection of nearly 200 original proclamations (extending from 1631 to 1695), two books printed by Pynson, unknown to bibliographers (viz. Aphthonii Sophistae Praexercitamenta and Ciceronis Orationes Philippicae and a few valuable MSS).

Copyrights
Project Gutenberg
Notes and Queries, Number 47, September 21, 1850 from Project Gutenberg. Public domain.
Follow Us on Facebook