3. GENERAL TREATMENT.—The best injection
Nitrate of silver, 1/4 grain
Pure water, 1 oz.
Inject three or four times a day after urinating.
STRICTURE OF THE URETHRA.
SYMPTOMS.—The patient experiences difficulty in voiding the urine, several ineffectual efforts being made before it will flow. The stream is diminished in size, of a flattened or spiral form, or divided in two or more parts, and does not flow with the usual force.
TREATMENT.—It is purely a surgical case and a competent surgeon must be consulted.
1. CAUSE.—Is a morbid condition of the penis, in which the glans penis cannot be uncovered, either on account of a congenital smallness of the orifice of the foreskin, or it may be due to the acute stage of gonorrhoea, or caused by the presence of soft chancre.
2. SYMPTOMS.—It is hardly necessary to give a description of the symptoms occurring in this condition, for it will be easily diagnosed, and its appearances are so indicative that all that is necessary is to study into its cause and treat the disease with reference to that.
TREATMENT.—If caused from acute gonorrhoea, it should be treated first by hot fomentations, to subdue the swelling, when the glans penis can be uncovered. If the result of the formation of chancre under the skin, they should be treated by a surgeon, for it may result in the sloughing off of the end of the penis, unless properly treated.
[Illustration: ILLUSTRATING MAGNETIC INFLUENCES. ANIMAL MAGNETISM IS SUPPOSED TO RADIATE FROM AND ENCIRCLE EVERY HUMAN BEING.]
* * * * *
WHAT IT IS AND HOW TO USE IT.
1. MAGNETISM EXISTING BETWEEN THE BODIES OF MANKIND.—It is rational to believe that there is a magnetism existing between the bodies of mankind, which may have either a beneficial or a damaging effect upon our health, according to the conditions which are produced, or the nature of the individuals who are brought in contact with each other. As an illustration of this point we might consider that, all nature is governed by the laws of attraction and repulsion, or in other words, by positive and negative forces. These subtle forces or laws in nature which we call attraction or repulsion, are governed by the affinity—or sameness—or the lack of affinity—or sameness—which exists between what may be termed the combination of atoms or molecules which goes to make up organic structure.
2. LAW OF ATTRACTION.—Where this affinity—or sameness—exists between the different things, there is what we term the law of attraction, or what may be termed the disposition to unite together. Where there is no affinity existing between the nature of the different particles of matter, there is what may be termed the law of repulsion, which has a tendency to destroy the harmony which would otherwise take place.