4. If the patient is weak and very much emaciated, cod liver oil is an excellent remedy.
5. DIET. The patient should live principally on brown bread, oat meal, graham crackers, wheat meal, cracked or boiled wheat, or hominy, and food of that character. No meats should be indulged in whatever; milk diet if used by the patient is an excellent remedy. Plenty of fruit should be indulged in; dried toast and baked apples make an excellent supper. The patient should eat early in the evening, never late at night.
6. Avoid all tea, coffee, or alcoholic stimulants of any kind.
7. “Early to bed and early to rise,” should be the motto of every victim of this vice. A patient should take a cold bath every morning after rising. A cold water injection in moderate quantities before retiring has cured many patients.
8. If the above remedies are not sufficient, a family physician should be consulted.
9. Never let children sleep together, if possible, to avoid it. Discourage the children of neighbors and friends from sleeping with your children.
10. Have your children rise early. It is the lying in bed in the morning that plays the mischief.
[Illustration: Healthy Semen, Greatly Magnified.]
[Illustration: The Semen of a Victim of Masturbation.]
* * * * *
Involuntary emissions of semen during amorous dreams at night is not at all uncommon among healthy men. When this occurs from one to three or four times a month, no anxiety or concern need be felt.
When the emissions take place without dreams, manifested only by stained spots in the morning on the linen, or take place at stool and are entirely beyond control, then the patient should at once seek for remedies or consult a competent physician. When blood stains are produced, then medical aid must be sought at once.
Sleep in a hard bed, and rise early and take a sponge bath in cold water every morning. Eat light suppers and refrain from eating late in the evening. Empty the bladder thoroughly before retiring, bathe the spine and hips with a sponge dipped in cold water.
Never sleep lying on the back.
Avoid all highly seasoned food and read good books, and keep the mind well employed. Take regular and vigorous outdoor exercise every day.
Avoid all coffee, tea, wine, beer and all alcoholic liquors. Don’t use tobacco, and keep the bowels free.
[Illustration: Healthy Testicle.]
[Illustration: A Testicle wasted by Masturbation.]
PRESCRIPTION.—Ask your druggist to put you up a good Iron Tonic and take it regularly according to his directions.