“Ce tombeau renfermant les
de l’illustre Fondatrice de cette Abbaye,
renverse pendant les discordes civiles,
et deplace depuis une longue serie d’annees,
a ete restaure, conformement au voeu des
amis de la religion, de l’antiquite et des arts,
Casimir, comte de Montlivault, conseiller d’etat, prefet.
Lechaude d’Anisy, directeur de l’Hospice.”
The ceremony of the re-interment was performed with great pomp on the fifth of May; and the Bishop of Bayeux pronounced a speech on the occasion, that does him credit for its good sense and affecting eloquence.]
[Footnote 79: Hist. Normannorum Scriptores, p. 662.]
PALACE OF THE CONQUEROR—HERALDIC TILES—PORTRAITS OF WILLIAM AND MATILDA—MUSEUM—PUBLIC LIBRARY—UNIVERSITY—ACADEMY—EMINENT MEN—HISTORY OF CAEN.
(Caen, August, 1818.)
Within the precincts of the abbey of St. Stephen are some buildings, which do not appear to have been used for monastic purposes. It is supposed that they were erected by William the Conqueror, and they are yet called his palace. Only sixty years ago, when Ducarel visited Caen, these remains still preserved their original character.
He describes the great guard-chamber and the barons’ hall, as making a noble appearance, and as being perhaps equally worth the notice of an English antiquary as any object within the province of Normandy. The walls of these rooms are standing, but dilapidated and degraded; and they have lost their architectural character, which, supposing Ducarel’s plate to be a faithful representation, must have been very decisive. It is scarcely possible to conceive how any man, with such a specimen of the palace before his eyes, could dream of its being coeval with the Norman conquest: every portion is of the pointed