Forgot your password?  

Resources for students & teachers

John MacGillivray
This eBook from the Gutenberg Project consists of approximately 302 pages of information about Narrative of the Voyage of H.M.S. Rattlesnake, Commanded By the Late Captain Owen Stanley, R.N., F.R.S. Etc. During the Years 1846-1850..
quick.”  Jackey was exceedingly energetic, and grave as well.  Get away as quick as possible, was resounded by all, but what was to be done—­two men almost dead to walk two or three miles.  We looked over the tent, asked Carron for what important things there were, and each laid hold of what appeared to be of most value, the Captain taking two sextants, other parties firearms, etc., etc.  “Come along,” again and again Jackey called out, and the Captain too, whilst they were halfway down towards the creek, and Barrett and I loaded ourselves.  I took a case of seeds, some papers of Carron’s, a double gun and pistol, which, together with my own double gun and brace of pistols, thermometer, and my pockets full of powder and shot, was as much as I could manage.  Seeing Carron could not get along, I told him to put his hands on my shoulders, and in this way he managed to walk down, as far as nearly through the mangrove swamp, towards the water’s edge, when he could not in that way possibly get any further, and Barrett, with his disabled arm, carried him down to the edge of the water.  Goddard, the other survivor, was just able to walk down, spoke, and looked exceedingly feeble.  They were brought on board at noon, and attended to according to my instructions.  Carron’s legs were dreadfully swollen, about three times their natural size, from oedema.  In the afternoon both reviving and thanking God for their deliverance.  I was for some time afraid of Carron.  At ten P.M.—­they are both doing well, and, I trust, will be enabled to tell their own tale, which renders it unnecessary for me to write it down here.  I told the Captain to proceed direct on to Sydney.  Jackey, Carron, and Goddard, and the Captain, stating it would be running too great a risk to go to recover anything from the tent, moreover, with so small a party as the Captain, Jackey, and myself (Barrett really being unfit to go) and the sailors all refusing to go.  I consider the Captain deserves considerable credit for his actions throughout in exerting himself to rescue the survivors.

Sunday, December 31.

At daylight got underweigh and took our departure from Weymouth Bay for Sydney.  Carron and Goddard were some considerable time in getting better; the former being subject to daily fits of ague, etc., etc.

Thursday, January 11, 1849.

The black native had made his escape during the night, whilst it was raining and blowing hard; we were at this time anchored about one and a half or two miles from Turtle Reef, and a distance of eight miles from Cape Bedford, the nearest part of the mainland; made search on the reef, but saw no marks of him; a strong current was making towards Cape Bedford, and he might have taken that direction.  Two large sharks were seen about the ship this morning; it is our impression the man can never have reached the land; the black was seen by Parker, on deck, at two A.M., whilst it was thundering, lightning, and raining, but was never seen afterwards.

Follow Us on Facebook