9. The Shoemakers Brigade—Who
will be employed in patching up the
old shoes collected by our Household Salvage Brigade and in making
new ones for our consumption.
10. The Tailors Brigade—Will
supply uniform and clothing of all
kinds. For these we have already a very considerable demand, which
would increase year by year.
11. The Carpenters Brigade—Would
have plenty to do in providing
seats for our Barracks, office essentials, boxes, and household
furniture for our colonies. They would be linked with
12. The Building Brigade—For
whom we shall find ample employment
in the erection of our Labour Sheds, Shelters and Farms.
13. The Masons Brigade—Would
also be attached to the previous
one, and would become an important feature in our Labour Department.
14. The Brick Makers Brigade—Would supply us with all the bricks and tiles that we might require. Here again it is easy to see that, without trenching in the least on the outside public, we should create and support an important industry which would soon absorb hundreds if not thousands of hands.
15. The Painters Brigade—Would
undertake the painting and
whitewashing of our buildings, carts, tinware, &c.
16. The Dyers Brigade—Would
find employment in dyeing our cloth,
or the various sorts of thread we might require for the use of our
17. The Dhobees Brigade—Although among our community we should encourage every one to be his own dhobee, yet from the first we should have plenty of washing to employ a considerable number of hands.
18. The Umbrella Makers
Brigade—Would find considerable scope
repairing the old frames collected by our Household Salvage Brigade;
while the Sewing Brigade would work the covers.
19. The Paper-makers Brigade—Would also be supplied with plenty of material by the Household Salvage Brigade, and would keep our printing establishment supplied with whatever paper they might require. Already we consume a considerable quantity, and this would be enormously increased by the development of our scheme.
20. The Book-binders Brigade—Would
furnish us with our registers
for the Regimentation Bureau, besides doing our other miscellaneous
work of a similar description.
21. The Brass Brigade—Would
supply Our colonies with the various
kinds of brazen vessels we should be likely to require. For these in
process of time there would be a large demand.
22. The Net-making Brigade—Would make nets for fishing purposes.