2. War along the Canadian frontier resulted in a gain to neither side. In 1812 Americans were beaten at Detroit and at Queenstown, and failed to invade Canada. In 1813 the Americans were beaten at Frenchtown, but defeated the Canadians at Forts Meigs and Stephenson, and at the Thames River, and recovered Detroit. Perry won the battle of Lake Erie. The Americans failed in the attempt to take Montreal. In 1814 the battles of Chippewa and Lundys Lane were won, and Fort Erie was taken. But the British burned Buffalo and Black Rock and drove the Americans out of Canada. McDonough won the battle of Lake Champlain.
3. During 1812-13 the British blockaded the coast from the east end of Long Island south to the Mississippi. New England was not blockaded till 1814. Then depredations began, and during the year Washington was taken and partly burned, and Baltimore attacked.
4. Later in the year the British, after the attack on Baltimore, went south, and early in 1815 were beaten by Jackson at New Orleans.
5. The navy won a series of successive victories. The defeats were about half as numerous as the victories.
6. Peace was announced in February, 1815.
/ / / / 1812. Hull surrenders Detroit. | | | | 1812. Harrison attempts to recover it. | | | Detroit . . < 1813. Frenchtown. | | | | Battle of Lake Erie. | | The | | Harrison invades Canada and wins | | expeditions | \ the battle of the Thames. | | against | | | Canada. < / 1812. Van Rensselaer repulsed. | War | | | 1813. York taken and burned. Second | on < | Niagara . . < 1814. Battles of Chippewa and Lundys War for | land | | | Lane, and capture of Fort Erie. Independence < | | \ Americans driven from Canada. | | | | | | / 1813. Expedition against Montreal. | | | St. Lawrence < 1814. British come down from Canada. | | \ \ Defeated on Lake Champlain. | | | | / 1812. Blockade of the coast south of Rhode Island. | | War on | 1813. Ravages on the coast of Chesapeake Bay. | | the | 1814. Entire coast blockaded. | | Seaboard. < New England attacked. | | | Washington taken and partly burned. | | | Baltimore attacked. | \ \ 1815. Victory at New Orleans. | | War on / The ship duels. \ the sea. \ The fleet victories on the Lakes.