The Education of the Negro Prior to 1861 eBook

This eBook from the Gutenberg Project consists of approximately 341 pages of information about The Education of the Negro Prior to 1861.
in operation in 1850 in a building bearing the same name.  In 1849 arose the “Corn Street Unclassified School” of forty-seven children in charge of Sarah L. Peltz.  “The Holmesburg Unclassified School” was organized in 1854.  Other institutions of various purposes were “The House of Refuge,” “The Orphans’ Shelter,” and “The Home for Colored Children.”  See Bacon, Statistics of the Colored People of Philadelphia, 1859.

Among those then teaching in private schools of Philadelphia were Solomon Clarkson, Robert George, John Marshall, John Ross, Jonathan Tudas, and David Ware.  Ann Bishop, Virginia Blake, Amelia Bogle, Anne E. Carey, Sarah Ann Douglass, Rebecca Hailstock, Emma Hall, Emmeline Higgins, Margaret Johnson, Martha Richards, Dinah Smith, Mary Still, and one Peterson were teaching in families.  See Statistical Inquiry, etc., 1849, p. 19; and Bacon, Statistics of the Colored People of Philadelphia, 1859.]

[Footnote 2:  Statistical Inquiry into the Condition of the Colored People of Philadelphia, in 1859.]

Situated like those of Philadelphia, the free blacks of New York City did not have to maintain their own schools.  This was especially true after 1832 when the colored people had qualified themselves to take over the schools of the New York Manumission Society.  They then got rid of all the white teachers, even Andrews, the principal, who had for years directed this system.  Besides, the economic progress of certain Negroes there made possible the employment of the increasing number of colored teachers, who had availed themselves of the opportunities afforded by the benevolent schools.  The stigma then attached to one receiving seeming charity through free schools stimulated thrifty Negroes to have their children instructed either in private institutions kept by friendly white teachers or by teachers of their own color.[1] In 1812 a society of the free people of color was organized to raise a fund, the interest of which was to sustain a free school for orphan children.[2] This society succeeded later in establishing and maintaining two schools.  At this time there were in New York City three other colored schools, the teachers of which received their compensation from those who patronized them.[3]

[Footnote 1:  See the Address of the American Convention, 1819.]

[Footnote 2:  Proceedings of the Am.  Convention, etc., 1812, p. 7.

Certain colored women were then organized to procure and make for destitute persons of color.  See Andrews, History of the New York African Free Schools, p. 58.]

[Footnote 3:  Ibid., p. 58.]

Whether from lack of interest in their welfare on the part of the public, or from the desire of the Negroes to share their own burdens, the colored people of Rhode Island were endeavoring to provide for the education of their children during the first decades of the last century. The Newport Mercury of March 26, 1808, announced that the African Benevolent Society had opened there a school kept by Newport Gardner, who was to instruct all colored people “inclined to attend.”  The records of the place show that this school was in operation eight years later.[1]

Copyrights
Project Gutenberg
The Education of the Negro Prior to 1861 from Project Gutenberg. Public domain.
Follow Us on Facebook